SISTER ACT is a feel-good musical comedy smash hit based on the 1992 film that has audiences ready to rejoice! Featuring original music by Tony- and eight-time Oscar winner Alan Menken, this uplifting musical was nominated for five Tony Awards, including Best Musical. Filled with powerful gospel music, outrageous dancing, and equally outrageous costumes, the show has multiple wonderful roles and audience-pleasing moments.
Audition Dates and Times:
6 :30 - 10:30 pm Wed Nov 8 at Madilyn Clark Studios, North Hollywood
7:00 - 10:00 pm Fri Nov 10 at Simi Valley Cultural Arts Center, Simi Valley
Invited Callbacks are 2 - 7 pm Sat Nov 11 at Studio C Performing Arts, Westlake Village. Callbacks are by invitation only, and not all roles will be called back.
Wed November 8th - Madilyn Clark Studios, 10852 Burbank Blvd, North Hollywood
Fri November 10th - Simi Valley Cultural Arts Center, 3050 Los Angeles Ave, Simi Valley
Callbacks at Studio C Performing Arts, 705 Lakefield Road, Studio C, Westlake Village
Special Audition Requirements:
Please prepare 16-32 bars or 1 verse of a standard or contemporary musical theatre or gospel song, and bring an alternate selection in case the casting team needs to hear more. Bring sheet music in your key; an accompanist will be provided.
Dance call and readings will take place at the invited callbacks on November 11th. The callbacks are by invitation only. For callbacks, please wear or bring comfortable dance attire.
This is a Non-Equity production. There is NO PAY.
When auditioning, please list all conflicts during the rehearsal period . No additional conflicts will be accepted after casting. No performance or tech week conflicts will be accepted
Rehearsals are normally Sun through Thurs evenings and Saturday daytime. The week prior to opening there may be a Friday night rehearsal. Rehearsals are scheduled to begin on November 19th.
January 13 - February 18, 2018
Fridays & Saturdays at 8:00pm, Sundays at 2:00pm
ROLES AVAILABLE: (ALL ROLES OPEN)
Deloris Van Cartier
- Mid-20s to mid-30s, African-American; must be able to move well. Vocal range: E3 - F#5. A feisty, strong-willed, larger than life character. Curtis' bit on the side. Brought up a Catholic and taught by nuns, she has rebelled against her upbringing. She has dreams of becoming the next big singing sensation, which Curtis keeps promising to make happen for her, but never will. She eventually finds what she has been seeking where she least expects it. When forced to hide in the convent, she initially refuses to embrace her new lifestyle but learns to embrace it when she works with the choir. Loud-mouthed, and sassy, but ultimately caring.
- Late 40s +. Vocal range: D3 - E5. Haughty, well spoken, stickler for rules and routine with a tough exterior, but she is not so confident when alone with God. We see a softer side to her by the end of the show. She really doesn't want Deloris in her convent.
Sister Mary Robert
- Late teens to 20s. Vocal range: F#3-A5. A small, postulant nun. Very timid and quiet, until she eventually finds her 'voice'. She hasn't chosen to be a nun; she is only there because she knows nothing else.
Sister Mary Patrick
- Mid-20s to 30s. A large, bubbly, excitable, over the top, larger than life character. Very innocent and not at all worldly-wise; everyone's friend.
Sister Mary Lazarus
- Mid-50s+ Vocal range: F3 - B4. Choir mistress who gets moved aside. Bit of a grump! Nothing fazes her, she takes everything in her stride, even rapping!
- 40s+ Vocal range: E3 - G4. A friendly, good natured gentleman. Always bright and positive, even though his parish is almost non-existent and faces closure. He loves the change that Deloris brings to his church.
- Mid-30s to 50s, dependent on casting of Delores. Vocal range: A2 - Ab4. Confident, chilled out, gangster. He is always in control of the people around him, his actions and any situation he finds himself in. He is untouchable, or so he thinks.
- Same age as Deloris, must be able to move well. Vocal range: Ab2-B4. Police Officer - Totally uncool. Bit of a nerd, but there is a cool guy hidden inside him, waiting to get out! He is often downtrodden but takes everything in his stride and is a good cop.
- 20s +. Youngest of Curtis' henchman and his nephew, which is the only reason he has the job. Vocal range: Db3 - Eb5. He is naïve, daft and childlike and easily manipulated. Finds humor in everything he can.
- 30s +. Curtis' head henchman. Vocal range: Bb2 - Eb5. Does what he is told without question. Thinks he is a cool ladies' man, but he really isn't.
- 30s +. Curtis' Hispanic henchman. Vocal range: C4 - F5. He is quiet, moody and the toughest of the gangsters. Most of his dialogue is in Spanish. He is a slick smooth dude, but slow.
- 20s/30s, good mover. Nightclub backing singer. Vocal range: Bb3 - F5 Good time girl, been around the block a few times. Lippy and always quick with a retort.
- 20s/30s, good movers. Nightclub backing singer. Vocal range: Ab3 - F5 Good time girl, been around the block a few times. A little thick and naïve.
- 30s +. Curtis' oldest henchman. He gets killed in Act 1, Scene 2, for grassing on Curtis to the police. Will double as ensemble.
Sister Mary Martin-of-Tours
: "Out of it" in her own little world, unaware of what is going on around her. With moments of surprising clarity.
Sister Mary Theresa
- The oldest nun of the group. Decrepit at a glance, but secretly packs a punch..
to play: Nuns 1-11, Cop, Hooker, Bar Patron, Waitress, Pool Player, First Female Bar Patron, Drag Queen (similar size to Deloris), Cab Driver, Newscaster, Fantasy Dancers.
To schedule an audition appointment, contact email@example.com or call (805) 583-7902.